This developing project, spearheaded by the North Uncompahgre Trails Subgroup, has a diverse array of Roundtable participants working together to inform a more comprehensive trail plan for the North Uncompahgre.
Bill Edwards, District Ranger has asked us to come up with a more comprehensive plan for the North Uncompahgre. We will consider the original trails that Motorcycle Trail Riders Association submitted for consideration as part of the larger proposal. We have had two meeting as of this date with our next meeting scheduled for late March. At this point the input on the proposed trail re-designations has been received from COPMOBA, WSATVA, MTRA & BRMC, GMBCH. We are awaiting input from the Quiet Trails Group and the GMJC has not been contacted as yet.
Proposed Project Goal Statement First Draft:
The goal of this project is to have the Sub Group work cooperatively with the Grand Valley Ranger district USFS to create a recreation trail plan that will provide quality trail based recreation opportunities for the spectrum of visitors. The goal is to reach consent between the sub group members and the FS on a workable plan. The plan will attempt to provide visitors with a successful trail experience where the expectations of the visitors are met.
- Public safety is a major objective of the plan.
- A looped trail system with multiple decision points for a variety difficulty levels is a desirable feature.
- Trail maintenance and new construction to FS standards is important to achieve visitor satisfaction and to manage off site impacts.
- Non recreation goals of the FS (wildlife, timber, and cultural) will be considered while formulating the plan.
- The FS is a multiple use agency. That does not mean that every activity will be provided on every acre. Allocations will be made on a supply/demand basis using Mesa County public lands as the local supply model.